Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chapter 50 The Spy

"I was so worried about my wee wife I followed her to your kingdom. Once I saw she came to no harm I made my way here. I thank you again for having me." "I see."
There was a moment of silence as everyone ate. Then the tribal man continued.
"You can see my wife carries my child. I do not worry. She is strong woman. Maybe you see Egyptian cat woman, name Bast. Egyptian's call her Goddess. She in hut."
After his meal Lord Sven decided to see about this cat woman.
"I am Bast. You seek protection for your wife?"
Sven was in awe. Then he realized she must have heard the dinner conversation. Still, if the Egyptians called her a Goddess, perhaps she is wise.
"My wife, she has not been around many people. She is sweet and innocent." "And you mean to keep her that way? I am Goddess of Protection and Entertainment. Your wife needs protection from you, which I shall give her by speaking with you."
"Me? I love my wife. I would do her no harm."
"Than do not coddle her so. Let her make friends. She may come to harm, she may not. If you keep trying so hard to prevent her all harm, you will be the cause of it."
"Just what are you trying to get at?"
"She is your wife, not your prisoner."
"I do not keep her prisoner! Why just today she wanted to go visiting on her own, and that is what she is doing."
"And you followed her. You are not a bad man. You have been a very loving husband to her. She needs you to comfort her for hardships, not keep her from them."
Bast turned away. Sven walked outside the hut.
He sat on the ground, his eyes cast toward the sea.
He had not thought of things in quite the way Bast said.
Sven followed the leaving guests to the road.
He didn't think his sweet Brooke thought of him as her prison keeper. He didn't want her to begin to. Yet he did not want to neglect her. He felt a neglectful husband could cause his wife harm.
Sven sighed. It will likely take me a lifetime to strike the balance! Perhaps my Lady Brooke will show me the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment