Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chapter 38 A Visit With the Genie

To the relief of all, Allen made a full recovery.
Toren still lay sick abed. Everyone felt certain Toren would make the same recovery Allen did, it would just take time.
One day, Old Joseph brought a scroll for Allen.
Allen read the scroll. He looked Old Joseph in the eyes.
"It's from the Genie. He wishes me to pay him a visit."
Old Joseph chuckled.
"What is so funny?"
"In the old tales I heard as a child, it was the genie granting the wishes."
Allen laughed.
"I see what you mean. In the stories I heard the genie lived in a lamp."
"Allen, I think this Genie has been granted his freedom. Or perhaps..."
Struck with curiosity, Allen spurred him on. "Perhaps what?"
"Perhaps he is part Genie, part human. Perhaps his parents, or further back in his ancestral tree. Regardless of his history, it is an honor to receive such an invitation."
Allen considered.
"Yes, it is an honor. Perhaps I should wait until Toren is well."
"No Allen. We should not forget the people. Not all will come to the Sanctuary. Sometimes we must go to them. Why don't you invite our fair maidens? I have been thinking we should be taking them out more. The Good Lord knows how long they have been hiding in isolation."
"Thank you. I shall ask them at once."
Maid Heather and Celeste were eager to attend. Maid Patty wished to stay at the sanctuary, so he let her be.
Allen and the maids arrived at nightfall to where he thought the Genie's home would be. The scroll had instructed him to follow the road over the bridge near the Sultan's Palace. He would then arrive at the lake. This is where the genie dwells.
They had arrived at the lake. It was the only lake Allen could see over the bridge. Allen looked around.
The place appeared to be uninhabited. Allen was puzzled. He could see a few lanterns lit, but no building or person - genie or otherwise. Just a great cloud over the lake.
For no reason they could explain, the 3 travelers felt compelled to walk around the lake.
They found themselves in a small castle. For a moment they were disoriented, each wondering how they had come to be there. None could recall how seeing a building of any kind near the lake, nor of walking into one.
Allen looked out the window. He could see a great porch...and clouds...no land, just clouds.
"I hope the last leg of your journey didn't startle you too badly. I like to be careful that only my guests can find my home."
Startled, Allen turned toward the voice. Then he felt somewhat relieved.
"There you are! O Wonderous Genie, I am pleased to introduce to you Maid Heather and Celeste. They live at the Sanctuary with the wisemen and myself. Maid Heather, Celeste, behold the Wonderous Genie I met on my travels."
After a moments silence, Maid Heather approached the Genie.
"I'm very pleased to meet you."
Genie stood before them wearing nothing but a loincloth...and legs.
"Fair Maidens, I should introduce you to my wife. I shall fetch her."
Genie was so swift bringing his wife, it seemed only the blink of an eye.
"I present to you, my wife, Jinni Wonderous."
Celeste felt great pity in her heart when she saw Genie's wife.
What a good man he is! To see the way he carries his lame wife.
As soon as Celeste completed this thought, Genie set his wife down.
Celeste let out a small gasp. To cover this gasp up, she approached the couple.
"I am pleased to meet you as well." She stumbled over the words she had copied from the noblewoman. Celeste tried not to gawk at Jinni, floating above the floor.
They all felt more at ease when they sat down for dinner. Other than the Genie's bright blue skin, their differences were less noticeable around the table.
After the meal, Genie addressed his guests.
"My guests, my wife and I wish to retire early tonight. Please stay as long as you like. When you wish to leave, you will find yourself near the lake once again. I do believe there is something you will like outside my castle walls Allen."
With that the genies left their guests alone.
Allen didn't wish the women to be alarmed. "Come, let us see what awaits us outside."
Allen led the women outside and found something he did indeed enjoy. "We are in for a treat. Settle on a pillow."
Allen showed them how to blow bubbles, much to the maidens delight.
Thus the 3 spent a fairytale evening in the Genie's Cloud Castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment