Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chapter 31 Queen Matilda and Lady Swan

"Oh Robert, I'm so happy for you, happy for both of us."
"As am I, my pretty Swan."
Lady Swan spied the King and Queen approaching. She slipped her hands from her husband's fingers and stepped aside.
While the men greeted each other, Queen Matilda approached Lady Swan.
Lady Swan curtsied.
"A good day to you Your Majesty."
"It's about time you learned to address royalty."
Lady Swan was speechless. Then the queen gave a great smile.
"I'm sorry for the way I treated you when last we met."
Lady Swan breathed out slowly, calming herself. Before Lady Swan could apologize the same Queen Matilda spoke again.
"I'm most pleased your husband was made reeve. After we met he took me aside to tell me not to treat you the way I did. Truly a brave man!"
Lady Swan smiled nervously.
"He is a good man to defend his wife, even unto royalty. Defending women is a quality I'm happy to see in a reeve."
With this Lady Swan finally relaxed.
"Thank you Your Majesty."
The 2 women listened a moment to the quiet sounds of men fishing.
"Would you like to sit and visit while the men fish?"
"That would be lovely."
With that the 2 women settled into a visit they both wish they had when first they met.

No comments:

Post a Comment