Saturday, October 23, 2010

Chapter 48 Challenge 1 Some Like it Hot

"Dear Lord, whatever this day may bring, Thy Will be done. Amen."
By the end of the day, Old Joseph would find comfort that he had made this simple prayer to start his day. The first challenge for Ebony's hand would be today, but had not yet been announced.
Some of the menfolk took the time to get to know one another. Thomas ventured out to the road to look out at the land. He noticed that Buddha had done the same...or maybe he followed him.
There was something that struck Thomas about Buddha. He seemed almost a younger version of himself, with some significant differences. Thomas didn't think he'd ever worn such a sneer upon his own face.
Thomas had never gone about wearing nothing but a loin cloth.
Mostly, Thomas didn't see himself as a butt scratcher. The rest of the day was not as serene. That afternoon there were a terrible fire. The men rushed to the fire.
The butler did little to assist he was in such a panic. The fire spread as the men gathered round.
The maid showed up but was also of little help. At last the fire was out, no death toll this time. Cupid, Old Joseph and Allen each played a part in putting the fire out.
Thomas went into the other room and tried to calm himself.
It is no wonder Lord Gabon died in a fire. What primitive people! They cook with little more than a cooking fire. Have they no metal? No metal with which to make a safer place to cook?
"Dear God, I will do my best if you find this woman should be mine. If it is to be so, please strengthen my heart and spirit that I may do well by this woman in this land so different than my own. Amen."
Soon after this prayer, Lady Ebony announced the first challenge.
"I see that all of you are present. I am glad that none of you have died during the fire nor left last night. I trust that the man among you who is to be my husband will do right by this child I carry."
"Due to today's events and Lord Gabon Bushman's passing, the first challenge will be a study of fire prevention. The man who is the least dedicated to this study will be sent home, as one man will be sent home with the completion of each challenge. This is gravely important to me. It would break my heart to lose another husband in this way." Lady Ebony swiftly took a book and began to study it. The men followed her example.
The men were very tired. The fire had been a lot for all of them. Only Old Joseph gave the book a thorough study.
Lady Ebony chose a man to send home.
"You studied very little. I think you are still too upset by the fire. While I understand, I need a husband who can protect us in this way. Thank you for coming. Goodbye Thomas." "You are a true lady. God bless you."
Inside Thomas was relieved. He was thankful he could return to his Sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment